Ages: 0 and up
Features: Dog Friendly
This is a 4.1 mile loop hike. Approximate hike time is 2 hours, but can vary with children. The first 1/2 mile is mostly flat. The trail is an Old Carriage Road so it is wide and easy to follow. It includes Red Rock Pond on the descent. The Summit has 180 degree views of the Adirondacks and the Champlain Valley. Recreation activities include hiking, mountain biking, snowshoeing, and snowmobiling.
*Dog's must be leashed
The trailhead for this hike to Snake Mountain is located on Mountain Road in Addison, Vermont near the junction of Routes 17 and 22A. Parking lot is on Mountain Road.
From the north:
- From Burlington, follow Rt. 7 South to reach Rt. 22A South.
- Travel south on Rt. 22A and note when you reach Addison at the junction of Routes 22A and 17.
- From this point continue on Rt. 22A for 3.0 miles.
- Turn left onto Willmarth Road and follow it for 0.6 mile to its end.
- Turn left onto Mountain Road and proceed 0.1 mile to the parking area on the left.
From the southeast:
- From Middlebury, follow Rt. 23 northwest to reach Rt. 17 at a T-stop.
- Turn left onto Rt. 17 and travel for about 2 miles.
- Turn left onto Mountain Road (if you reach Rt. 22A, you've gone about 0.8 mile too far).
- Follow Mountain Road for 2.5 miles and then turn right into the obvious parking lot (if you see Willmarth Road on the right, you have gone 0.1 mile too far).
Reviewed on 08/19/2011
Great hike! Easy to find. Off road parking. My 9 year old loved it! Pack a lunch or snack to eat at the top. The view is beautiful. Bring bug spray and plenty of water. It took us just under 2 hours with a 20 minute break at the top, but my daughter is a pretty fast hiker. Dog-friendly with a leash. Make sure and stop at the Main Scoop in Vergennes for...more